When Monica was born, her parents believed she was a boy. They named her Morten. In April 2002 Monica, then 22, had her body surgically corrected to make it fit her real sex. Her mother believes the alternative would have been a grave.
Most of us can relate to a search for a true identity. Very few have to endure surgery to get to this goal. But to experience loss, fear, joy, sorrow and lust on this journey is something we all have in common. This is an exciting and tender experience about Monica who really knows what it takes to become oneself.
Monica has been confiding in a camera during the months
before and after her operation. This has become a rare video
diary. Her total honesty, sense of humour, and direct way of telling things as they are will break down myths and prejudice on people in her situation.
100% HUMAN consists of an unusual mix of genres. The personal video diary, musical performances, re-enactments and traditional cinema-verite scenes. Monica's musical numbers adds depth to her story in a very poetic and untraditional way. This way the film challenge the traditional documentary in the same way Monica challenges traditional gender definitions.
THE NORWEGIAN FILM INSTITUTE
TEL +47 22474500
FAX +47 22474597
Updated film festival list for "100% Human":
* 20th Turin Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. 21-28. April 05.
* 1st Ukrainian Documentary Film Festival "Kontakt". 24-29. April 05.
* Nederlands Transgender Filmfestival. 18-22. May 05.
* New York Lesbian, Gay, Bi, & Transgender Film Festival. 2-12. June 05.
* The Norwegain Short Film Festival. 15-20. June 05.
* Oslo Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. 17-22. June 05.
* The San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival. 16-26. June 05.
* 11th Annual Philadelphia Int. Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. 7-18. July 05.
* Budapest Lesbian & Gay Film Festival. 7-10 July 05
* Outfest - Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. 7-18. July 05.
* Filmfest Hamburg. 22-29 September 05.
* Out In Istanbul 2005. 23-28. September 05
* Tampa Gay & Lesbian Film Fest. - Tampa, Florida. 06-16. October 05.
* Reel Affirmations - Washington. 13-22. October 05.
* Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. 14-23 October 05.
* Real Pride Michigan, Detroit. 21-28 October 05
* Reeling Chicago. 03-10 November 05.
* Hong Kong Lesbian & Gay Film & Video Festival. 17-27 Nov.05 .
* Vinokino Lesbian & Gay Film Festival, Finland. 18-20 November 05.
* Luxembourg Transgender Film Festival.
* Oslo Int. Film Festival, Norway. 17-27 November 05.
* Womens Film Festival, Seol 6-14 April 06.
TEL + 972 3 566 4129
FAX + 972 3 560 1436